Change your flight
Change of plans? We allow same-day confirmed changes on select flights for a fee, with some exceptions.
Customers can stand by for a flight at no charge.
Your new flight must:
- Depart on the same day, from and to the same airports, as your original flight
- Have the same number of stops, in the same airports, as your original flight
- Be marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
Also, please keep in mind that:
- Anyone can standby for an earlier flight, but only elite status members can standby for a later flight the same day
- Same-day confirmed changes and standby are subject to availability on select flights
How to request a same-day change or standby
Beginning 24 hours before departure, go to your trips online or in the app, or stop by an airport kiosk or ticket counter to request a change and pay the fee, if applicable.*
After you check in, you’ll receive a new boarding pass and receipt.
*Customers traveling on a Basic Economy fare can't make changes at a kiosk and should find their trip on the American app, aa.com or visit a ticket counter to request a change.
Fees by market
|Market||Same day confirmed change||Standby|
|U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands||$75||$0|
|Canada and the Caribbean||$75||Not offered|
|Between / through New York (JFK) and London Heathrow (LHR)||$150||Not offered|
Complimentary change / standby
|Passenger / ticket type||Confirmed change||Standby|
|AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro status (and companions in same reservation)||available||available|
|Unrestricted Economy (Y fare), Business, First, AirPass||available||available|
|Award tickets: First, Business, MileSAAver, AAnytime||available||available|
|AAdvantage® Platinum and Gold status (and up to 8 companions in same reservation)||Not available||available|
|oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status (and up to 8 companions in same reservation)||Not available||available|
|oneworld® Emerald members with elite status on Alaska Airlines||available||available|
|Active U.S. military personnel (on orders or personal travel) and active U.S. military dependents (on orders only)||Not available||available|
Fees are non-refundable unless we:
- Are unable to assign you a seat because the flight is full
- Cancel your new flight
- Delay your incoming flight or cause you to miss your connection
If you're eligible, you can request a refund online.
- On select routes operated and marketed by American or American Eagle, based on availability
- May be confirmed up to 24 hours before the new flight time
- Non-refundable and non-transferable
- No changes to depart / arrival airports, number of flight segments, connection cities or from a through flight to a connecting or nonstop flight
- Offer is made at our discretion and subject to change or termination at any time